Sunday, June 16, 2013

It's not my father's world - Andy Lotze

It was UMM Sunday!  Here's Andy's sermon:
It is not my father’s world
The world has changed drastically since I was a kid.  My father, a chemical engineer worked 3 jobs to put food on our table and clothing on our bodies.  Coming from a family of six children, and being 5th in line I had to eat quickly in order to get a chance at a second helping.  Amy, now you understand why I eat so fast; SURVIVAL! 
During my early childhood, I spent tons of time with my mom, playing backgammon, watching baseball, cooking, just doing all kinds of things together.   I didn’t get to spend a much time with my father.  He was always busy earning a living to support our family.  He worked a full-time job during the day, after dinner he went to work at a brickyard.  Some mornings would even drop off newspaper bundles to delivery people.  The song “Cat’s in the cradle” by Harry Chapin rang very true regarding my relationship with my Dad.
And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon little boy blue
and the man in the moon "When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when but, we'll get together then, son,
you know we'll have a good time then"

This song reminds me that there are choices in life that we make, and if we don’t think about the consequences of these choices, we might end up regretting how we live our few short years on this planet.  It’s all about time. 
A summer after my freshmen year in college, I was given the opportunity to grow closer to my father.  I was offered a job at his company.  He would wake me up with a cup of tea and we’d play cribbage while we ate breakfast.  We would ride to work together, and share lunch playing pool.  Recently, I have begun playing pool at lunch again, often thinking of Dad.  Back then was a  summer that I hold dear.  I was able to develop a closer relationship with Dad. 
I watched as he walked the halls at work, greeting each person with a smile and a first name.  Such a simple gesture; yet so powerful! Knowing people’s names is important!  It establishes a feeling of worth, of belonging.  As a Cub Scout leader I worked very hard at knowing each scout’s name so that they knew I cared about them.  This simple act brought each scout closer to the group and gave them a sense of purpose; acknowledgement and belonging.
Knowing someone’s name is the first step in developing relationships.  Do you know everyone sitting in your pew?  Take a minute now to greet those around you, finding out names if you don’t know them.
After college, I made sure that I kept in touch with Mom and Dad, calling on a regular basis, and going in for occasional visits.  After my mom passed away, I frequently went in to see Dad and spend more time with him, giving my sister Hilary, his primary caregiver a breather.  We watched so many movies together, talking about the plots and enjoying a diet coke! I had broken the cats in the cradle syndrome!!!
Growing up, my family attended church every week.  We were good church goers.  As soon as the service was over though, we were gone.  I wasn’t aware of any relationships being created or nurtured in that place.  It felt like homogenized worship, no feelings allowed.   I attended Sunday School; I read the bible; but I really didn’t understand or know God.  There wasn’t any relationship there, but this was the way of my father’s world.
I visited a Methodist Church for the first time in 1981, visiting Amy’s home church.  Wow, it felt warm, inviting, like a huge blended family.  I was astounded at the difference with the church that I grew up in!  People stayed after church to talk and get to know each other better, have coffee and pastries.  What a great place to be.  Unfortunately, this wasn’t part of my father’s church world.
Amy and I were married in July 1983 and moved into Fairport in 1985.  After getting settled in, we began looking for a church, visiting FUMC.  We received a welcome phone call the next week from Lori Lorraine.  She spent over an hour talking to me about “her church” and getting to know all about us.  Since then, our families have ultimately intertwined into one.  Their daughters are ours, and our sons are theirs, a wonderfully amazing friendship. 
My family has benefitted from the wonderful Youth Group here at FUMC, shepherded by Pam and Mark Renfro. We spent a great deal of time on bike trips, Sacandaga adventures, Reach workcamp , 30 hour famine sleepovers and numerous youth group meetings.   As I look at our group of friends that we spend time with outside of these walls, I find that they are the same people that we have developed relationships with inside these walls!
Reflecting back, I’m overjoyed that Amy and I were committed to being active parts of our son’s lives. Because of that, Cat’s in the cradle does not hold the same meaning for our kids as it did me.
In the Genesis reading, that Rick read, God appointed us to be stewards of our environment and the creatures that inhabit the land, the sky and seas, this includes all of God’s children.  We are not meant to be solitary individuals, we are meant to be families and communities. This requires investment of time and energy.
Technology has made the world smaller, even though the population has more than doubled since 1960.  Facebook has allowed friendships to be sustained and others to end abruptly.  The use of technology is an enabler, but what does it enable?  Amy and I operate our IPADS in the same room, and I will sometimes text her just to see if she is still awake J  Instant information from around the globe has miniaturized the feeling of the planet, bringing Kamina, China and the city of Rochester much closer to us!  However, we must not allow Facebook, twitter or texting, our online relationships to overshadow the importance of physical real world relationships.
Do you ever think about the relationships you create and nurture as a stewardship opportunity?  I can work on that next week… This attitude reminds me of another song, a Beatles song:  If you want it, here it is Come and get it, but you better hurry 'cause it's going fast.  Stopping to smell the roses, and invest some time in relationships often allows the hectic pace of life to slow a little.  By participating in outreach and other ministries here at church as an individual and as a family, allows us to do God’s will, while at the same time developing friendships and better relationships.
We are given time, talents and treasures by God.  Of the three, Time is the only one that once gone, cannot be renewed, cannot be recaptured.  It is the most precious of our gifts.  Two weeks ago, David Durham spoke about the rich man that wanted to know what he had to do to have eternal life, Jesus said, sell everything, give to the poor and follow me.  Was it the wealth that he didn’t want to leave, or was it the commitment of time that was too much?  God wants the same from us that we want from our parents and our children, an investment of our time.
The opportunities are here, but are you stuck living “Cat’s in the cradle”, still not realizing the impacts of your choices?  What are you missing by not trying?
With all of the technological advances, we still have issues here on mother earth. We find that this tiny complex world we live in, that if it was condensed down to a village of 100, you would find the village comprised of:
·        50 would be male, 50 would be female.
·        61 Asians, 13 Africans, 12 Europeans, 9 Latin Americans and 5 from the USA and Canada.
·        33 Christian, 67 non-Christian,
·        16 would not be able to read or write
·        50 would be malnourished and 1 dying of starvation
·        33 would not have access to safe water supply
·        8 people would have access to the internet
So, if technology alone cannot resolve the world’s problems, what can?  Relationships, tolerance and being open to challenging the status quo!  Having a positive attitude that we can make a difference is infectious to others around us.  Mother Teresa once said “If you can’t feed 100 people, feed just one.” Participating in outreach here, even a little, can start an avalanche of wonderful experiences for you, what are you waiting for?
If we are to be the body of Christ in this community of faith, in this country and in this world, all parts must learn to work together.  We need active participation!  We need to grow healthy, loving, nurturing relationships so that when the path becomes difficult, we have a support network that sustains us.  It is marvelous to see how we help each other here, with meals, transportation and most wonderfully, our time.  We are called to be God’s presence on this rock called earth.  This is not my father’s world, but to make this our Creator’s world we must be willing to step forward out of our comfort zones and stop the cycle of Cat’s in the cradle.


-Andy Lotze, June 16, 2013

No comments: