Monday, August 05, 2013

God's metaphors: parent



Psalm 107; Hosea 11:1-11
Before the Hosea reading….today we hear from the prophet Hosea, who lived a long time ago, about 730 years before Jesus.  He lived just before the downfall of the nation, God’s people, at a time when they had turned away from living in God’s ways, and were more interested in running things their own way….a time of decline and decay played out against a background of threat from other larger empires.
Hosea’s message used two metaphors for the situation.  For starters, his own troubled marriage helped him see the sacred relationship between God and God’s people in a new way—God as faithful spouse, hurt and betrayed by a faithless beloved.  And much of his book reflects that metaphor.
Then, in THIS reading, Hosea sees another side of God, as disappointed parent, frustrated and angry and hurt because the child has wandered away.
Listen as Sid reads, and imagine yourself as the child of God, hearing God the father, the mother, the parent, talking to you……
Hosea reading

When I was a new parent, I loved this text…as I bent over to feed Jess, or clean up her messiness….I remembered this image of God.  As I taught Ben to walk, and put one of those harnesses on so he could feel independent yet safe…I remembered this image of God.  And when all of those parenting jobs drove me nuts, I tried hard to remember this image of God!  And then more recently, as my mothering heart breaks over some of our kids’ stuff, I try hard to remember this metaphor.
Do you ever talk to yourself? I do.  Someone once said it’s ok as long as you don’t answer yourself.  But I do….oops.  Maybe most people do…I bet lots of parents do.  And I believe God does.
I think that’s what God was doing in this Hosea text.  Imagine the incredible struggle in God’s parenting heart….hurt and betrayal and the desire to punish…against compassion and steadfast love…..tune in as we listen to God......
Where did I go wrong?   I loved them, I created them for goodness’ sake!   I gave them freedom of choice….but they turned away.
I  cared for them, brought them out of slavery, led them through wilderness times, promised them the earth…but they complained against me,  then chose to ignore me.
I gave them boundaries and rules to live by….but they broke them, rejected me.
I’m forever lifting them up, offering them care and advice and discipline, teaching them how to live, nurturing, guiding.  But still they turn away.
It makes me so mad.  I’m going to let them have it….I’ll rant and rave and punish them and see how they like that!  They’ll lose their identity, forget who they are, and it’ll serve them right.
But wait a minute.  I love them.  They are my children; I cannot let them go.  I’m not human, I’m God.  I am Love, through and through. Human parents might let their anger win, but I cannot.  I weep for their suffering.  The fire of my anger is dampened by my tears of compassion.
Even in whatever catastrophe of their own making is coming, I will not fail or abandon them.  I will not stop loving them.
So…..
What does this image of God’s tender nurturing have to say to us?  Only you can answer.
What does it say about your attitudes and relationships with your loved ones?
If God is like a steadfast, faithful loving and guiding parent, how do we experience God?  What kind of Godchild am I are you are we?  Wayward and recalcitrant?  Or attentive to God’s ways?
And if God is like a steadfast, faithful, loving and guiding parent, what does it say about me..or you….who are made in God’s image?
What does it say about us as a church, who’re supposed to be the Body of Christ, this God with skin on?
What does it say about us as a nation—one nation UNDER GOD?  What about the freedom and justice and compassion for ALL?
Are there ways to be more attentive to that loving relationship, to invest in listening to God instead of the culture?  To nurture intentionally our love relationships, and to re-imagine who it is whom God loves?
I believe God still desires, with a broken heart, to guide us, individually and as a church, as a nation, from being recalcitrant and overly independent children, into the maturity and mutuality of a covenantal life….life where we live out our inheritance as children of a God who bends over to feed children, leads people with kindness instead of force, who guides policies with love instead of competition, who lifts up the weary and the weak.
May God Grant our minds the insight to see     ourselves in this text,
the courage to recognize what needs to change,
 and the commitment to return to God with all of our lives.
Amen

No comments: