Sunday, December 04, 2011

answering the door

The Rule of Benedict has a whole chapter on how to answer the door. Of course, it has whole chapters on all sorts of actions, because it's a very balanced guide to life, for all it's 15 centuries old! But answering the door?
I've been thinking about hospitality since David posted a comment on a previous blog, and as I watch people - including myself - at church, in the store, on the road, and observe how we greet people, or don't.
When I'm not expecting someone, and my doorbell rings at home, it can seem like an intrusion; but it's Nate and Vi, a couple who work our neighborhood looking for recycling bottles and cans. Can I greet them as Christ, as Benedict instructs?
At work, Kathy might warn me about an incoming phone call, you're not going to like this....and it's sure to be something that disrupts my agenda. Can I welcome that caller as Christ?
At the store, as I hurry through my list, someone tries to help me when I don't need help....can I respond with grace?
Then this morning, I was listening for a word from God as I read and reflected and journaled, and it suddenly came to me....how do I answer the door when God is knocking, wanting my attention, needing my gifts, seeking my help, offering to help me? Ignore it? Put it on the back burner for later? Make a note and take a message to think about it later? Or open the door, no matter what the implication?
How do you answer the door?

No comments: