Wednesday, December 14, 2011

full moon murmurings

A teacher friend was commenting that she could tell it was a full moon, given the behaviour of her children; compounded of course by the anticipation of Hanukah and Christmas! I'd been watching the moon for several nights, thinking it's almost full, anticipating it myself, as I love the sense of cosmic completeness I feel when I meditate on a full moon. She pointed out I'd actually missed the full moon four nights ago, and it was now waning.
How much else do I miss, even when I THINK I'm paying attention? How easily does a special moment slip by when I'm looking at the details and not the whole thing? Do I miss God's advent this way? Sometimes I think "Did I just miss something important?" because it was almost indistinquishable from what was around it?
Maybe it's the process of waxing and waning that's as important as the climax itself....

No comments: