Saturday, December 17, 2011

where the christ child comes

Last night I spent some chaotic but fun time with children and youth at a city church's Youth Cafe, making Christmas crafts mostly, but also just listening.....clearly they do not have all that I have materially, and some of them also lack many of the social and familial advantages I have as a privileged white woman. Like those uncertain what tomorrow would bring, they used up every piece of craft supply I brought, ate seconds (and in one case thirds and fourths!) of the taco dinner provided, and devoured many of the sugar cookie someone else brought for decorating fun! And I remember that this is the world into which the Child is born in a refugee, homeless family. And THEY know that in ways I don't.....for in their Bethlehems they have something deep, within them, among them, and most of all for their families, something the Christ child brings, even to those who've never met him, something that church and its faithful volunteers bring to places the rest of us rarely see.

No comments: